Thursday, January 14, 2010

...a bigger boat...

The quest to 'make it' in the pros most definitely calls for "a bigger boat" (Jaws). Leaping from amateur to pro, I must be faster, tougher, quicker, leaner, swifter, smarter, fitter, stronger,  and...did I mention faster? I know enough about it to make me scared, excited, and most of all dependent on the Lord. So, I guess my "bigger boat" is simply daily realizing that I have the biggest boat imaginable when I realize that the One who makes the big boats is readily available at all times! Remembering that helps me refine my body & mind into a triathlete who is all those adjectives that end in "er" that I listed above. 

I often think of the movie, Jaws, when Brody points out that the situation has risen to a new level, and that to conquer the beast & stay alive, they would have to take appropriate measures! ("You're gonna need a bigger boat.") Needless to say, I am definitely saturated & overflowing with excitement about this full-time triathlon job that I now have, but there is also with it a very strong realization that I'm up against something that is nothing short of impossible without the Lord's strength, wisdom, guidance and hand on my life. I don't know where the path leads, whether the triathlon journey will end today or go for a long stretch of time, but the deep joy that laces up my soul most definitely comes from the Lord of the universe, who knit me together and knows how many hairs are on my head. As unsure as my future is in triathlon, I can rest in the hope and pure goodness of who the Lord is, and know that He hasn't changed in...literally...forever. 

Whatever the Lord has given you today, may you feel a fresh new passion for the unique role that you have, knowing that no one could replace you!



PS: I recently weaned myself off of my heavy, cushy, thick, plush saddle for the hard, light variety. Yay! Believe it or not, it's actually comfortable now. I forced myself to do it over Christmas break - I only mailed this one to Knoxthrill, so for a couple weeks, I had no other alternative. haha. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bethany! Great thoughts! I hope you are a pro triathlete for a long time so I can live vicariously through you. :) God is good!! He will use you to do great things, as He has proven in the past. :)

    ReplyDelete