Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Idioms & Truths...from an ex ESL teacher


You're getting on my nerves! You're such a pain in the neck!
If I made the definition of those idioms, I'd make the connotations much stronger than "irritation" or "annoyance".


Last Wednesday, I pinched a nerve in my neck, and boy have I been feeling horrible. The past week, I've had the same exercise schedule as my 92 year old grandmother. I feel like I'm a cat who's getting picked up by the scruff of my neck and every few moments, I get a huge electric shock going from the middle of my trapezius into my brain. That's what it means to get on my nerves, literally!
 

This pain in my neck affects my entire body, my schedule, and if I let it, my mood. It reminded me of 1 Corinthians 12:26 (below)...the nerve in my neck is forcing my entire body to suffer with it! haha. 

...there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

1 comment: