Saturday, December 18, 2010

Success!

Dr. Cogert & his team at the Oklahoma Heart Institute were successful in finding & burning the cause of my heart arrhythmia! Everyone was so wonderful - I had a great experience.
They had to give me some drugs to induce a fast heartbeat, but it worked - they eventually found it, burned it, waited a bit...and then pumped me with more drugs to induce another fast heartbeat to make sure that it was fixed...and it was - success!
The weirdest feeling was the combo of the adrenaline with the muscle relaxers and laughing gas that they gave me! Usually when my heart is racing, my entire body is also literally, racing...but this time, I was just relaxing on a cold table with warm blankets on my body, yet somewhat aware that my heart was completely maxing out! Ha.
I ended up having SVT, which is the most common type of arrhythmia...but I had a rare form of it - AVNRT. Apparently, I was born with it. There is now a 98% chance that I won't ever have it again, but if I do, they will know exactly where to find that little bugger and will zap it again.
I'm not supposed to do anything more than a leisure stroll for 2 weeks...I definitely told them not to worry! My groin had 3 catheters sticking in it for 4 hours, so it is an understatement to say that it is tender. :o)
My mom flew in this week to be my personal nurse, and boy was she a lifesaver! I can't believe I forgot to take pictures :o(
It was beyond special to be with her this week! We're thankful for her company, cooking, errands, & massages! It was hard to see her go...but there were many back in Knoxville missing her, of course. And Stephen's here to take care of me. :o)
I'm so thankful!

2 comments:

  1. YAY! So happy your procedure was successful. I hope you have a VERY restful Christmas so you can hit the ground running (literally) in 2011!
    Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you & Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks beth!!
    merry Christmas & happy new years to yas too!!
    miss ya xo!

    ReplyDelete