Wednesday, October 23, 2013

2013 race season: 4 pro races: Check!

Lifetime Fitness Oceanside, CA
Swim: 65 deg water temp, delayed ~10 mins in the water at the start which numbed my hands & feet to the point of no return; there's nuthin' good about a pre-race ice bath, but everyone had the same conditions to deal with; had a decent wetsuit swim
T1: Not swift - couldn't feel hands, so had trouble clipping bike helmet & taking off wetsuit
Bike: So cool literally; not so much figuratively! Thick marine layer fog; freezing; no function in hands...close to not being able to brake/shift; fog felt like a constant ice-water mist room...the cold cloud layer was a complete surprise to some others as well. I felt like I belonged in DumbnDumber with snot freezing down my face - I couldn't wipe it off though because my hands couldn't squeeze my nose - haha. (Sorry, too much info) ;) Every once in a while I'd put my hands in my mouth to try to regain feeling, which didn't really help my aero position. Another bummer for the non-functioning hands on the bike was that I couldn't grasp my water bottle, so I didn't drink a sip of it but rather carried it as cargo for the whole 40K.
T2: Not swift but I was so thankful to get my helmet off and running shoes on! I'm still not sure how I did that! This was a huge answered prayer going into T2.
Run: I felt like I could run off the bike for the first time! Fun stuff. Every other race, I've felt like death after biking. This time I felt decent & it's always fun to catch & pass someone!
Overall: 11th out of 14 girls who started, 13 finished. No part of it was incredible, but I made good progress.

That's a wrap!
I haven't had an impressive first-year pro season with my race results, although I have made steady progress that isn't necessarily immediately fruitful. It's been a goal to reduce the amount of mistakes each race weekend rather than being upset if I make a mistake! Hanging out in the lower tier of all 4 races is the reality of where I'm at right now. And that's fine; I won't stay there, but I knew going into this season it was going to be about managing expectations. I'll target weaknesses & build on strengths this off-season & am excited to continue my momentum into 2014.

It's absolutely true to say that I wouldn't have been able to be a pro if it wasn't for my sponsors. THANK YOU!!! And what an unexpected gift to be able to meet and work with such amazing people and companies! It's so easy to get excited about my sponsors (check 'em out on the right!!).

By far the most tender & meaningful take-away this year for me is how the Lord has gone before me and been with me through the details...Clearly, (if you've checked any results), I don't mean that the Lord went before me and I beat all my competitors! I mean that my relationship with the Most High God has become more intimate through this year's chaos, quiet, & everything in between. It's the sweet, secret moments in relationships that are the most special - the ones I can't fully describe that grasp the total multi-dimensional packed beauty that exists. Do you know Him?! Isaiah 55:6 says, "Seek Him while He may be found; call on Him while He is near."

Friday: After we drove the course, ended w/ a gorgeous sunset - perfect timing!
Oceanside harbor: swim start...no sign of fog yet, but...it's a comin'!
Just out of T2; this fog was nuthin' compared to the bike!
The run!
Succulents = so pretty & unique
Went to a cute outdoor coffee shop after the race & succulents lined the entire space.
I swam with the seals! So cute, fat, & friendly. ARRR, ARRR!
Post-race chillaxin' w/ the best massage therapist in the wooaarrald! (& ma) ;)
Wetsuit: 1 Me: 0
Forgot to use lube for my neck... Doh! I'm pretty sure (from the looks I got) that more than a few people on the day-long trip home from Cali thought I had been involved in some extra-curricular activities...ie, they probably didn't guess wetsuit chaffing...aNyhoo...
:) bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment